A friend of mine posted a link to this on her iChat profile. Read more at Elite.com.
It’s no longer about taking the traditional road to success, but rather by forging your own path every day. The downfall to reaching greatness cannot be blamed on parents, friends, or lovers. If you did not get what you wanted out of this life it is solely because you got sloppy in your actions and treaded lazily through life. If you want success, then you must act on it now.
Your destiny is your own to control every day. Here are the downfalls you always must avoid:
10. Stop spending time with the wrong people. – Your career and lifestyle is a direct reflection of the five people you spend the most time with. Developing social solitude is not exactly healthy so find those who have the same ambition levels and passion as you.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. If someone wants you in their life, they’ll make room for you. You shouldn’t have to fight for a spot. Never, ever insist yourself to someone who continuously overlooks your worth. And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.
9. Stop running from your problems.– Face obstacles head on. No, it won’t be easy. There is no person in the world capable of flawlessly handling every punch thrown at them. We aren’t supposed to be able to instantly solve problems.
That’s not how we’re made. In fact, we’re made to get upset, sad, hurt, stumble and fall. Because that’s the whole purpose of living – to face problems, learn, adapt, and solve them over the course of time. This is what ultimately molds us into the person we want to be.
8. Stop lying to yourself. – You can lie to anyone else in the world, but you can’t lie to yourself. Our lives improve only when we take chances, and the first and most difficult chance we can take is to be honest with ourselves. So, don’t make excuses.. even in your own head.
7. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner. – The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too. Yes, help others; but help yourself too. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. If you are not looking out for yourself, who will?
6. Stop trying to be someone you’re not. – One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else. Someone will always be prettier, someone will always be smarter, someone will always be younger, but they will never be you. Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you. And, always play to your true strengths.
5. Stop trying to hold onto the past.– You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last one. Always look forward and never stop building a future you want for yourself.
4. Stop being scared to make a mistake. – Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing. Every success has a trail of failures behind it, and every failure leads towards success. You end up regretting the things you did NOT do far more than the things you did do.
3. Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. – We may love the wrong person and cry about the wrong things, but no matter how things go wrong, one thing is for sure, mistakes help us find the person and things that are right for us.
We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future. Every single thing that has ever happened in your life is preparing you for a moment that is yet to come.
2. Stop trying to buy happiness. – Many of the things we desire are expensive. But the truth is, the things that really satisfy us are totally free – love, laughter and working on our passions. Even success and power cannot be bought.
1. Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness.– If you’re not happy with who you are on the inside, you won’t be happy in a long-term relationship with anyone else either. You have to create stability in your own life first before you can share it with someone else.