I think tacos were the product of an overstuffed burrito that was just too full to wrap and fold properly. Such was the case with today’s lunchtime meal: Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Spinach Almost-Burritos.
I really wanted these to be burritos because they’re usually less messy to eat. Given the number of fillings, these vegetarian delights had to be folded instead of wrapped.
Makes 2 “tacos”
- 1/2 small sweet potato
- 1/4 cup canned black beans
- Trader Joe’s Corn Salsa (tomato-free)
- sour cream
- 1/4-1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese
- hot sauce (I really like sriracha)
- red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup spinach
- olive oil
- lemon wedge
- Poke multiple holes in the sweet potato with a fork. Wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Heat black beans in a medium pot; add red pepper flakes, black pepper and cumin to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet until glistening. Add spinach and salt. Cook until almost wilted. Squeeze lemon over spinach. Remove from heat when completely wilted.
- Cut sweet potato in half after cooking. Scoop out sweet potato flesh from the skin.
- Microwave the whole wheat tortillas for about 30 seconds to make them malleable.
- Fill whole wheat tortillas with cheese, sweet potatoes, spinach, black beans, corn salsa, sour cream and sriracha.