My mother and I adore shrimp salad. Come to think of it, we’re big fans of seafood in general; we’ve never met a steamed mussel, a raw oyster or a tail of lobster we didn’t like. As much as we love shrimp salad, eating lots of mayonnaise isn’t the healthiest option, which is why I’ve come up with a recipe for shrimp salad that is full of flavor but not guilt.
Healthy Shrimp Salad
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined; preferably local and in-season
- juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp of red onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt to taste (a hefty pinch)
- 2-3 tsp olive oil; enough to coat the shrimp
- 2 large PBR beers
- Bring PBR and about 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add shrimp, cook until pale pink– about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Drain into an ice bath. Let shrimp cool.
- Mix onion, celery, lemon juice, salt and dill
- Slice shrimp in half lengthwise and then chop. Mix with remaining ingredients.
- Add olive oil to coat lightly. Adjust seasoning to taste.